(Archive copy for historical purposes only)

[ Go to the Table of Contents for this report. ]

[ Go to the next section in this report. ]

[ Go to Canadian Social Research Links Home Page ]




All applicants must reside in Newfoundland; residence is defined in the Act as being physically present in the province. A person who is a recipient of long term assistance and moves to another province, either to take up residence or as a visitor, is not eligible for assistance from this province beyond the end of the month of his/her departure. Act 2(o); Policy 105(h)

Social assistance may not be granted during any period of absence from Canada except when an officer of the Department is satisfied that the circumstances justify payment of assistance to a recipient for a period immediately preceding his return to Canada not exceeding 92 days in any one calendar year. Regulation 17

Prince Edward Island

No specific provision made.

Nova Scotia - Provincial

ll applicants for social assistance must reside in Nova Scotia, both at the time of application and while receiving assistance. Family Benefits may be suspended where a recipient is absent from the province for a period exceeding 30 consecutive days. Act 8; Regulation 16(l)(a)

Nova Scotia - Provincial

The Social Services Committee of a municipal unit is responsible for granting Municipal Assistance to all persons in need who reside in the unit. The Halifax Policy Manual defines residence as the municipality where the applicant spent the night prior to application. Where an applicant resides in a municipal unit but has settlement elsewhere in the province (i.e., one year's residence in most cases), the municipality of settlement must reimburse assistance granted by the municipality where the application was accepted. (see also section 7.8) Act 23; Act 25; Policy 1.1.5

New Brunswick

There is no period of residency specified in the Act or Regulations.


An adult who is not a resident of Quebec or who is not legally authorized to reside in Canada is not eligible for assistance from a program of last resort under the Income Security Act. Act 7, 12

Ontario - Provincial

The person must be resident in Ontario to be eligible. There is no minimum residency requirement, however, and the applicant does not need to be a Canadian citizen. Policy 0203-02(p. 9)

Eligibility for FBA is not affected by temporary absence from Ontario for valid reason for up to three months. If the recipient is a handicapped adult who is living with his/her parents or guardian, and accompanies the parents or guardian out of province, the period of absence may be extended to six months under certain circumstances. Policy 0502-06

Ontario - Municipal

A municipality shall provide assistance to any eligible person in need who resides in the municipality. A person is considered to reside in the municipality where he/she applies for assistance, provided that the person has no permanent address in another municipality and clearly intends to live in the municipality where application is made. An applicant shall not be refused assistance solely because he or she does not have a permanent address. Act 7(1); Regulation 1(5); Policy 0302-01

Manitoba - Provincial

A social allowance may be paid to a person in need who resides in Manitoba. Any recipient who leaves the Province for a period exceeding 30 days becomes ineligible for a social allowance unless the Minister or his designate has authorized continuing eligibility on a special case basis. Act 5(1); Policy-21-09

Manitoba - Municipal

Persons in need who are not eligible for provincial Social Allowance benefits may apply for financial assistance to the municipality where they reside within the meaning of The Municipal Act (generally one year's residence). Act 10


A person must reside within the province in order to be eligible for assistance. In the Act, residence is defined as being physically present in a place. Assistance shall be cancelled when the recipient leaves the province, except in the following instances: Act 2(g), 7

a) when he is 65 years of age or older, and intends to return to the province after a period not exceeding 3 months;

b) when he has obtained permission from the director to receive assistance while he is absent from the province. The director may authorize the continued payment of assistance to a recipient temporarily living in a unit bordering on Saskatchewan in either Alberta or Manitoba. Regulation 23


For clients in Supplement to Earnings or Employment and Training Support categories (see section 2.1) an absence of up to one month in a calendar year is permissible for the purpose of seeking employment. Other absences are permissible if necessary for health, rehabilitation, education or training reasons for a period not to exceed one month. For clients in Transitional Support or Assured Support categories, an absence of up to one month in a calendar year is permissible. Client categories are defined in section 2.1.
Policy 01-04-02

British Columbia

As a condition of eligibility for income assistance or social services, an applicant must be either a Canadian citizen or authorized under an enactment of Canada to take up permanent residence in Canada. A recipient remaining outside the Province for a period in excess of 30 days shall not be eligible for benefits unless the Director, in his discretion, authorizes temporary continuance of benefits in order to permit a recipient to participate in a formal program of education, or to obtain medical therapy prescribed by a qualified medical practitioner, or in order to avoid undue hardship. Regulation 3(8); 9(3)


Unemployed employable applicants may be required to prove that they have resided in Yukon for at least 12 months - or that they have worked for at least three of the last 12 months - to qualify for regular assistance; where these residence and work requirements are not met, only emergency or repatriation assistance may be granted. Yukon Hansard 12-04-83(page 119)

Normally, assistance is discontinued when a recipient leaves the Territory. However, with the approval of the Director, assistance may be continued for a temporary period not exceeding 6 months. If a recipient requires services or care in a foster home or home for special care, and if such facilities are not available in the Territory, the Director may make arrangements for such care and services to be provided and for the payment for such care and services. Regulation 14

Northwest Territories

Normally, assistance is terminated when the recipient leaves the Territories. However, with the approval of the Director, assistance may be continued for a period not exceeding 6 months. If termination of assistance would create extreme hardship, the Director may approve continued assistance beyond this period. Regulation 16(2)

[ Go to the Table of Contents for this report. ]

[ Go to the next section in this report. ]

[ Go to Canadian Social Research Links Home Page ]



To search the complete
Canadian Social Research Links website ,
use the text box below:

To search ONLY the page you are now reading,
use Ctrl + F to open a search window.


Sign up to receive this free weekly newsletter by e-mail or read it online
(including archives back to January 2005).
Each issue includes all links added to this site during the previous week.
(2800+ subscribers in August 2015)

Site created and maintained by:

Gilles Séguin (This link takes you to my personal page)